Sunday, June 12, 2011

KANSAS 70.3 RACE REPORT

For the second year, I finished Ironman Kansas 70.3. And crazy enough...I feel like making excuses. My time was better, but it wasn't the "better" I wanted.

Last year was 7:25 and this year was 7:08. I'm still moving in the right direction. Based on what was "in" and "out" of my control, I'm going to keep learning and plugging away until I do get to where I "want" to be!

"Out" of my control...
- having a chest cold since memorial day and getting the workouts done, but not very well
- didn't get an open water swim in before the race
- weather - choppy swim / windy bike / hot run

"In" my control...
- stop obsessession with weather radar...predicted rain storms didn't come
- pick the "right" wet suit, not my "favorite"...74 degrees was not a day for the sleeves
- need to get more comfortable on the downhills - "free speed"

And there are the positives of the day!
- after HORRENDOUS swim, got and stayed focused on the bike
- bike was ~20 minutes faster than last year and it was a harder ride with the winds
- followed nutrition plan fully!
- frustrating run, but was able to "suck it up buttercup!" and finish up the last 2 miles as strong as I could.

91 days until Ironman Wisconsin. A couple of races in between and A LOT of training to come. I'll be ready...one day at a time!

Thank you to my family and friends for the support!

And a special thank you to Susan...your support and patience continues to amaze me! I hope one day I will have your ability to so kindly repeat a MILLION times "You are ready! You are going to do great!".




Location:Emery Rd,Lawrence,United States

2 comments:

  1. AWE-INSPIRING... congratulations on an AMAZING RACE... FABULOUS FINISH... and MOTIVATION in looking forward to the next!!! Looking forward to follow your trail blazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great weekend ! You continue to amaze me with your dedication and perseverance ! You did great in Kansas and you will be great in Madison !

    ReplyDelete