Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Taper Time...

Taper has started for Ironman Wisconsin, and I think the first indication it was absolutely time get recharged physically and mentally was the appearance of the "short fuse" and the feeling of everyone joined "Team-Pick-on-Lori"!

Overall, the week went well.  Heading into the weekend, I was so excited it didn't involve a hotel.  Since Racine 70.3 the weekend of July 16-17, every weekend has involved a trip out of town - either up to Madison to train and one weekend was a fun time at the NJ shore.  Being the homebody I am, 6 weekends away and coordinating Bixby duties was probably more tiring than the training.  Taking off from my front door for Saturday's last long brick seemed like an simple 4.5 hour training day without packing up the car and bike!  Granted, I probably should have head out to Barrington to ride the hills instead of riding on the Northshore, but tacking on another hour out, and another back...mentally I couldn't do it.  So I made the best of the roads I have accessible to me and called it a day.  And the couch called my name.  As much as I wanted to nap, I got sucked into not just one, but TWO Ryan Reynolds movies that I have seen more times than I like to admit...waste of time, but it was time on the couch with the pup so I can't complain!

All through the weekend, I couldn't stop watching the news and look for updates on Hurricane Irene.  I was bit worried about my family with the path of the Hurricane blowing up through NJ.  After a night of compulsively watching The Weather Channel, I was so relieved to hear they were ok.  The Sunday run didn't go perfect, but I had a good swim in before the "short fuse" popped!

A little hungry, anxious, tired .... and I really should learn by now to go to sleep!  But like always, some lessons take a little longer for me to learn.  As the days are counting down, it's even more important that I break it down to Rule #62:  "Don't take yourself so damn seriously!"

As I went down my list of "Team-Pick-on-Lori" with one of my biggest fans yesterday, it was kindly and gently pointed out that really, no one was on that team.  (I have a VERY strong imagination! :-) )  So as the countdown has REALLY begun, it's time to relax, re-charge, finish up the workouts, trust the process, stay in the moment, give myself and people around me a little slack, and get plugged into the positive people that truly fill my life up! 

I REALLY AM EXCITED!

1 comment:

  1. And I am really excited to be a part of your Ironman experience. You are ready physically and believe it or not you are mentally ready too ! I think you will do so well and enjoy an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete