Saturday, September 10, 2011

IMWI JITTERS

One more sleep..

It's the day before my first Ironman and I'm nervous and so excited! After talking to a guy who's completed 7 Ironman races and he said he still gets nervous...I think I'm ok, so I'm going to roll with it!!

Today started off with a quick swim in Lake Monona and a short bike ride to shake out the legs and make sure the bike was switching gears ok. Athletes get the chance to register for the 2012 race before it opens to volunteers/public on
Monday...guess I drank enough of the Ironman training juice to bite that bullet! "Silly C" (my bike!) was racked and transition bags were dropped off...now it's rest up to race!

The past couple of weeks I've been prompted with the question several times "How can you do a race on the anniversary of 9/11?". For the people that ask me, I know they were directly affected by the tragic events of that day. They work in NYC - they lost loved ones. I, like most, remember that day so vividly. And the days following. September 11, 2001 and the people that were affected will never be forgotten. Although I am not "doing" the race for any charity, I am proud of all those that are racing and raising awareness and funds that support the people that have fought to defend freedom and provide safety. I have much respect for the courageous racers wearing the special bib numbers that represent their service to this county and their communities. It's cool that the Ironman organization recognizes them on the anniversary day. No doubt September 11 is being remembered and honored by this Ironman community.

Remembering back to the day of 9/11, my life looked incredibly different. Had I known the twists and turns life was going to take, I'm not quite sure I would have signed up for the ride, but today I am so blessed for the changes that have come my way.

Tomorrow I know I'm going to start swimming 2.4 miles at 7am.

Then I'm going to bike 112 miles.

Then I'm going to run 26.2 miles.

And I'll finish before midnight.

My mind will hit hurdles, my body will hit pot holes...but the journey is a gift that I want to take to get to the finish line to hear the magic words...

If you have a couple of extra nice thoughts (a.k.a. prayers) on Sunday, please send them out to the athletes, countless volunteers, and supporting spectators for a safe race day.

If your interested in tracking me, I'm bib #569 for Ironman Wisconsin - I think these Links will work on race day:




GPS TRACKING (not the official Ironman site, but I'll be wearing GPS on the bike, maybe run if it's not annoying me to help Susan know where I am)







1 comment: